|The Town of Ballinger was established June 29, 1886
by the Santa Fe Railroad. It was named for William Pitts Ballinger,
an attorney for the Santa Fe Railroad. For some history about this
Ballinger family see "The Handbook Of Texas Online", article for Betty
Eve Ballinger (1854-1936).
||The Cross was erected
by the Jim and Doris Studer Family as a thank you to God for all the blessings
bestowed upon them during their life. The Cross belongs to everyone who
believes in Christ and that He died and rose to save us. It stands as a
reminder of the love He has for us. It is the hope of the Studers that
those who view it may pause a moment to also Thank God for their many blessings.
Construction was by Steve Jansa, of Jansa Construction, Rowena, Texas.
It was erected October 6th and October 7th, 1993. There was a Multi-Faith
Dedication November 28, 1993.
"Charles Noyes Statue" is the oldest icon for Ballinger.
The Charles H. Noyes Statue was sculptured by Pompeo
Coppini, of Chicago and stands on the courthouse lawn, and is dedicated
to the "Spirit of the Texas Cowboy." Pompeo Coppini was one
of many distinguished guest in Ballinger for the unavailing ceremony.
||The Carnegie Library
is one of 34 library buildings funded by Andrew Carnegie. It is one of
only four of those still in use as a public library. Built of native stone
it was completed in 1911 and was recorded as a Texas Landmark in 1962,
|The Veterans Memorial is
located on the Runnels County Courthouse lawn. The Memorial contains the
names of those from Runnels County who have served in the Armed Forces.
||The Old City Hall
was constructed in 1930 to house the Municipal Services and the Fire Station.
Today it houses Balllinger's Fire Station, City Police and Municipal
|The Pioneer Plaza is a
refreshing stop for tourist with benches, trees and a gazebo. The Plaza
was Ballinger's Bicentennial Project.
||The Santa Fe Depot
was built in 1911 by the A,T,& SF Railroad. It was renovated in 1983
and now serves the City of Ballinger as it's City Hall. The Depot also
houses the Ballinger Chamber of Commerce.
Ballinger was named for William Pitt Ballinger
William Pitt Ballinger's Law Office is now "The Cradle"
in Galveston, Texas, where the Daughters Of The Republic Of Texas Organization
Of The Republic Of Texas Information.
The Cradle "This building was originally the law
office of William Pitt Ballinger, father of co-founder Betty Ballinger.
Now known as the Cradle, it is cherished by the Daughters as the place
where Miss Ballinger and her first cousin Hally Bryan Perry formulated
the idea for their new organization. The Cradle has recently been restored
to reflect the original furnishings of the late 1800s. "
William Ballinger was an attorney for the Santa Fe Railroad.
The Santa Fe Railroad established the City of Ballinger June 29, 1886 .
Location: 2903 Ave. O
Hours: By Appointment
Address: P.O. Box 3537,
Galveston, TX 77552